Triumphing over adversity
We award scholarships to youth who have faced adversity in their lives and demonstrated tenacity. Many of our students would not be able to access post-secondary education without our help. With hard work and our support, their dreams can become reality.
Who can apply?
For every BC student
Students who have lived in Canada for at least seven years and have experienced adversity in their lives are eligible to apply. They may not have top grades through high school but must be capable of succeeding at the post-secondary level.
In order to be eligible for a TCF Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a current resident of BC
- Have lived in Canada for at least 7 years,
- Be in Grade 12 or a recent secondary school graduate,
- Have demonstrated financial need,
- Have faced adversity,
- Plan to be a full-time student,
- Be ineligible for the BC Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care),
- Use funding for a post-secondary institution, trade or college, and
- Be endorsed by their school principal.
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements, student applications will be adjudicated by a selection committee that will consider the student’s proven resilience in the face of adversity, their positive work ethic, their academic suitability, their contributions to their community, the clarity of their educational goals, their focused commitment, their fit with the organization, and the support of their references.
We reimburse up to $40,000 for books/tuition for an undergraduate degree or equivalent, provided the student makes appropriate academic progress in keeping with the scholarship guidelines.
We only fund undergraduate programs or equivalent. Transportation and living costs are not eligible. Students receiving scholarship funding greater than $2,500 per semester from another agency will result in a reduction in our payment.
The maximum duration for funding is five (5) consecutive years from the start of the first semester. Students must take a minimum of four (4) courses per semester, unless pre-approved. Students must pass a minimum of three (3) courses per semester. Failed/withdrawn course costs are deducted from the scholarship.
Further details will be provided to successful candidates upon acceptance into the scholarship program.
Applications are due February 7th of each year for post-secondary enrollment commencing not later than September of that year.
All applicants must be endorsed by their secondary school. The principal’s nomination letter must be included with the application.
Each BC secondary school may only nominate one application unless prior permission received. Applications must be completed online.
Principals are asked to choose and nominate one student from their school who best meets the criteria for the Cmolik Foundation Scholarship. Any additional applications from that school must be approved by the Chair of the Student Selection Committee prior to submitting the applications (a maximum of 2 students with approval, contact firstname.lastname@example.org). Below are some guidelines to help principals and their teams make this recommendation:
- Must be at arms-length to any Trustee of the Foundation.
- Must complete a Cmolik Foundation Application (available online).
- Must be graduates from a British Columbia Secondary School and have lived in Canada for a minimum of 7 years.
- Must be seeking financial aid to complete a post-secondary education or trade.
- Must be ineligible for the BC Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care).
- Must have a specific post-secondary goal to complete. (May change their mind along the way to a different career goal as they develop their aptitudes and interests).
- Post-secondary education or trade school must be a requirement for their chosen career path.
- Must have demonstrated the tenacity, focus, and ability required to succeed with their individual post- secondary educational goal. Please note that while academic standing is an important factor in determining future success in post-secondary endeavors, it is not necessarily our main consideration.
- Must have experienced adversity or hardship in their life.
- Without financial aid may not have the opportunity to attain a post secondary education. The reason for the financial need should be explained in their application.
- Must demonstrate the ability to finance their transportation and living expenses while attending their chosen educational university or institute, and have a plan to do this.
- Who have significantly contributed to their school, family and/or community will be given special consideration.
- Must agree to sometime during their lifetime fund a non-related person in furthering his or her post-secondary education, in a manner similar to the support received from The Cmolik Foundation.
Sample Cover Letter Template (Download Word Document)
For more information, please contact:
The Cmolik Foundation
c/o Foundation Administrator
210-2121 152nd Street
Surrey, BC V4A 4P1