Setting Students Up for Success
While a post-secondary education can be life-changing, it’s a goal that’s out of reach for many students. We’re trying to change that. Every year, we award up to 20 scholarships, each one a maximum of $40,000 paid over five years of study, to students graduating from BC high schools. Scholarship recipients have faced adversity but have responded with positivity and tenacity, achieving academic and social goals. With hard work and support, their post-secondary dreams can become a reality.
What’s more, students who are awarded the Undergraduate Scholarship are eligible to apply for our Graduate Scholarships, one $30,000 and two $15,000 scholarships.
Who Can Apply
BC students who have lived in Canada for at least seven years and have experienced adversity in their lives are eligible to apply. They may not have top grades through high school but must be capable of succeeding at the post-secondary level.
In order to be eligible for a TCF Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a current resident of BC
- Have lived in Canada for at least 7 years
- Be in Grade 12 or a recent secondary school graduate
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Have faced adversity
- Plan to be a full-time student
- Be ineligible for the BC Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care)
- Use funding for a post-secondary institution or college
- Be endorsed by their school principal
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements, student applications will be adjudicated by a selection committee that will consider the student’s proven resilience in the face of adversity, positive work ethic, academic suitability, contributions to community, the clarity of educational goals, focused commitment, fit with the organization, and the support of references.
We reimburse up to $40,000 for books/tuition for an undergraduate degree or equivalent, provided the student makes appropriate academic progress in keeping with the scholarship guidelines.
We only fund undergraduate programs or equivalent. Transportation and living costs are not eligible. Students receiving scholarship funding greater than $2,500 per semester from another agency will result in a reduction in our payment.
The maximum duration for funding is five (5) consecutive years from the start of the first semester. Students must take a minimum of four (4) courses per semester, unless pre-approved. Students must pass a minimum of three (3) courses per semester. Failed/withdrawn course costs are deducted from the scholarship.
Further details will be provided to successful candidates upon acceptance into the scholarship program.
Applications are due February 7th of each year for post-secondary enrolment beginning in September of that year.
All applicants must be endorsed by their secondary school. The principal’s nomination letter must be included with the application.
Each BC secondary school may only nominate one application unless prior permission is received. Applications must be completed online.
Secondary School Resources
Principals are asked to choose and nominate one student from their school who best meets the criteria for the Cmolik Foundation Scholarship. Any additional applications from that school must be approved by the Chair of the Student Selection Committee prior to submitting the applications (a maximum of 2 students with approval, contact firstname.lastname@example.org). Below are some guidelines to help principals and their teams make this recommendation:
- Must be at arms-length to any Trustee of the Foundation.
- Must complete a Cmolik Foundation Application (available online).
- Must be graduates from a British Columbia Secondary School and have lived in Canada for a minimum of 7 years.
- Must be seeking financial aid to complete a post-secondary education.
- Must be ineligible for the BC Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care).
- Must have a specific post-secondary goal to complete. Post-secondary education must be a requirement for their chosen career path.
- Must have demonstrated the tenacity, focus, and ability required to succeed with their individual post-secondary educational goal. Please note that while academic standing is an important factor in determining future success in post-secondary endeavours, it is not necessarily our main consideration.
- Must have experienced adversity or hardship in their life.
- Without financial aid they may not have the opportunity to attain a post-secondary education. The reason for the financial need should be explained in their application.
- Must demonstrate the ability to finance their transportation and living expenses while attending their chosen educational university or institute, and have a plan to do this.
- Those who have significantly contributed to their school, family and/or community will be given special consideration.
Must agree to some time during their lifetime fund a non-related person in furthering his or her post-secondary education, in a manner similar to the support received from The Cmolik Foundation.
You can download a sample cover letter here.
The following information must be submitted when applying for a scholarship.
Completed application form
Two reference letters
One letter should be from a teacher or faculty member if currently in school. In the letter, the person you choose must verify the following: You require financial assistance to be able to attend a post-secondary institution. You have undergone hardship or adversity in some form. You have the ability academically and emotionally to succeed in a post-secondary educational environment. You are of good character. You demonstrate the tenacity to achieve your goals. They believe you will be a contributing member of society once you have achieved your educational goals
We accept transcripts from Grade 12, a post-secondary institution, or your most recent report card including all marks in grade 11 and 12 at the time of application.
Letter from the school principal
This should state that you are the student nominated to apply for the Cmolik Foundation scholarship from the school. To download a template letter, click here.
Have everything you need? Let’s get started.
Still have questions? We’re here to help.